Nomodic is an industry-leading provider of integrated building solutions, from design and permitting to fabrication and installation. We believe in ‘building without boundaries’, where any client vision is fulfilled through an innovative, flexible, and holistic approach to construction. We have become a Canadian leader in the delivery of accelerated modular projects.
Our core purpose is to leave things better in everything we do: from delivering time savings and certainty for our clients, to helping our employees grow and achieve their full potential.
Our fast paced and motivated team is currently recruiting a Construction Manager, who reports to the Director of Construction. This position plays an integral role in the supervision of designated projects within the Permanent Modular Construction division and is a key member of the leadership team within Nomodic’s site construction operations. The Construction Managers’ primary focus is to oversee the safety, cost, schedule, quality, resources and overall execution of site works as it pertains to their project or projects assigned.
The Construction Manager will provide daily leadership, training, direction and mentorship to their assigned field staff and subcontractors as appropriate, and based on those specific site requirements for each project. They will also ensure punctual and accurate reporting for both internal and client specified reports and forecasting as required by the project. Tasking and assignments are self directed but it is expected that they will use their resources appropriately to complete their work, working under the stewardship of the Senior Construction Manager and Director of Construction.
The Construction Manager duties are to be performed at a high level of professionalism, moral and ethical standards, ensuring that the projects’ goals, company values and profitability are maintained.
Successful candidates will work out of town on a rotational schedule. A pre-access Drug and Alcohol test will be required.
Modular building experience is a prerequisite, and applicants without will not qualify at this time.
The Construction Manager performs some or all of the following duties on a regular basis:
- Maintain and promote the corporate Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Coordinate safety efforts for all projects, using both internal and external resources
- Responsible to ensure site compliance with WSBC and OH&S standards, including safety training or certification, and compliance for all employees and sub-trades onsite
- Site HSE inspections, identification and mitigation planning for all high-risk work
- Report all incidents immediately to the Dir. of Construction and HSE, and manage the incident response and investigation as per company policies and provincial guidelines
- Participate in site risk management and mitigation, and HSE audits as applicable
- Oversee and mentor the personal and company development of site employees in the aspects of modular and commercial construction. In consultation with Human Resources, the Construction Manager will also participate supervision in the area of training, performance evaluations, company policies, and disciplinary action as required
- Ensure that Quality Management standards are met and documented according to the project specifications and the Nomodic Quality Management System
- Facilitate and work in conjunction with the project, and site quality control to ensure that the onsite quality requirements are understood and completed through reporting, documentation, and compliance with building code and best practices
- Observe, identify, document and present lessons learned for assigned projects for areas of continuous improvement, cost or schedule savings, or other company lean initiatives
- Project Development
- Assist in the development of assigned project schedules and execution plans by working closely with the Construction, Projects, Design, and Business and Development Management teams
- Contribute to the project’s cost and constructability reviews, design and value engineering feedback, and site efficiency planning thru in-depth knowledge and understanding of company and industry resources, materials, equipment, trades and procurement to meet deadlines
- Maintain open communications with all employees and Sub-contractors assigned to the project, reviewing site deliverables on a weekly basis, with weekly updates to the Senior Construction Manager and Director of Construction
- Review, forecast and update both progress and scheduling on a weekly basis for all projects, working directly with the projects team, while maintaining an understanding of the work and activities each day from a leadership perspective
- Arrange that all construction activities, reporting and scheduling requirements assigned by the Director of Construction and the project management teams for the division, are implemented and executed, and in such a manner that both Nomodic’s and the client expectations are met while maintaining contractual obligations and assigned project specific profitability margins
- Manage the working logistics of the assigned job locations while maintaining the overall efficiency of the project through monitoring and evaluation of work scope proficiency factors, as well as building solutions in the field to challenging, out of scope, or changing site conditions
- Develop takeoffs, material orders, design change recommendations, and requests for information to efficiently use materials, labor and equipment to meet project deadlines and implement best practices for time management, urgency of task, job planning, delegation and accountability to meet the overall goals of the project deliverables
- Responsible for progress, and post budgetary reporting. Manage reporting to client and company through safety, daily and weekly progress reports & turnover documentation
- Completion of post-secondary school is required (or equivalent work experience)
- Must be fluent in English (written and verbal)
- Must have minimum of valid class 5 driver’s license with clean abstract
- Successful completion of a related Trade Certification acquired at an accredited university or Trades College; and/ or a college diploma in construction technology/project management
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of multiple trades-related work experience on construction sites, in numerous commercial projects with an ancillary background in modular applications, and that includes experience with civil, foundations, craning, rigging, structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical, commissioning and turnover requirements
- Considered to have working knowledge of construction leadership, logistics and operations on sites that have multiple contract deliverables and partnerships and able to demonstrate well developed organizational, time-management and decision-making skills
- A history of success on multiple medium - large scale residential and/or commercial building projects of small to large projects values in the $.5M to $10M range
- Able to manage a fluctuating workload and set project priorities, working under pressure, while continuing to meet deadlines and able to work individually, but with a focus on the overall management of the assigned sites. Experience having leadership roles with responsibility for 20+ employees and multiple contractors 30+ on site at any given time during the build cycle
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work under pressure, adapt and a desire to learn, with a strong attention to detail while evaluating priorities and making sound business decisions, with a propensity for multi-tasking and deadline driven
- Capable user of computer tools and systems to support the role, including Microsoft Office products, and the willingness to introduce new IT tools to drive efficiencies and automation
- Accuracy and attention to detail, organizational, time management, technical writing, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- High standards of ethical conduct; ensuring the preservation of confidential and/or sensitive information and the ability to promote and exemplify Nomodic’s core values
- Confidence and assertiveness to lead and direct employees, vendors and contractors while maintaining a positive working relationship
- Work shifts are 10 hours a day, 14 days on and 7 days off, some of which may include travel
- Travel to Calgary Head Office will be as required and at minimum once every 3-4 months
- Site representation for some remote locations can include extreme weather as well as all outdoor conditions that will be present through the seasons in that area
- Frequently driving for extended periods and can be affected by potential extreme weather
- Frequently assigned changing priorities and flexible to meet business needs
- Must be able to work in both office and field environments
- Must be able to work on a computer for the bulk of their day as well as in the field alternatively
- Manages all assigned site Supervisors, Lead Hands, Journeyman, Apprentices, other internal labor, Sub-Contractors, and 3rd parties on a project-to-project basis
We thank all of those who apply, but we'll only reach out to those who we see qualified.
Nomodic is an equal opportunity employer that offers competitive salary packages, an incredible work environment and career advancement opportunities.