Nomodic is an industry-leading provider of integrated building solutions, from design and permitting to fabrication and installation. We believe in ‘building without boundaries’, where any client vision is fulfilled through an innovative, flexible, and holistic approach to construction. We have become a Canadian leader in the delivery of accelerated modular projects.
Our core purpose is to leave things better in everything we do: from delivering time savings and certainty for our clients, to helping our employees grow and achieve their full potential.
Our fast-paced and motivated team is currently recruiting a Project Supervisor who will play an integral role in the supervision of designated projects within Nomodic's Permanent Modular Construction team, and is a key member of the field level team within Nomodic’s site construction operations. The Project Supervisor’s primary focus is to oversee the sites safety, schedule, quality and execution of site works as it pertains to their project or projects assigned.
The Project Supervisor will provide daily leadership, direction and mentorship to their assigned field staff and subcontractors as appropriate, and based on those specific site requirements for each project. They will also ensure punctual and efficient sequencing of the scopes of work being performed by internal and external parties, as well as the overall site supervision to meet the project milestones and budget. Tasking and assignments are delegated from both the site leadership team, and self directed, but it is expected that they will use their resources appropriately to complete their work, working under the stewardship of the Construction Manager and/or Director of Construction.
The Project Supervisor duties are to be performed at a high level of professionalism, moral and ethical standards, ensuring that the projects’ goals, company values and profitability are maintained.
The position is both a hands-on, and supervisory position, with typical daily allocation of 50%-70% on the tools and 30-50% in a oversight role of workers and subcontractors.
Modular building experience is a prerequisite, and applicants without will not qualify at this time.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Supervisor performs some or all of the following duties on a regular basis:
- Maintain and promote the corporate Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Coordinate safety efforts for all projects, using both internal and external resources
- Responsible to ensure site compliance with WSBC and OH&S standards and compliance for all employees and sub-trades onsite
- Ensure crew complete daily Job Hazards Assessments and a field level risk analysis before every task, reviewed for compliance with your acknowledgment to proceed as safe work
- Report all incidents immediately to Construction Manager and HSE, and manage the incident response and investigation as per company policies and provincial guidelines
- Educate employees about the working environment, such as safety compliance, company procedures, scope of work, company standards for installation and equipment operations
- Oversee and mentor the personal and company development of site employees in the aspects of modular and commercial construction and training of employees to complete assigned tasks and obtain an effective, efficient, goal driven work environment with worker accountability
- In conjunction with Human Resources and site management, govern and supervise all onsite employees including performance, leadership evaluations, employee interventions and trades skill development
- Take employee remedial action when necessary, by giving directions, providing advice and constructive criticism and associated educational feedback to improve
- Ensure that high Quality installation standards are met and documented according to the project specifications and the Nomodic Quality Management System
- Facilitate and work in conjunction with the project, and site quality control to ensure that the onsite quality requirements are understood and completed through reporting, documentation, and compliance with building code and best practices
- Observe and identify areas for potential lessons learned for assigned projects, and for areas of continuous improvement, or potential cost or schedule savings
- Monitor project activities hands on and advise supervision and management of resources availability and requirements for the site on a consistent basis
- Establish first on site services, manpower allocation and site readiness during project commencement and mobilization or demobilization from site
- Develop an onsite understanding of project plans and drawings, and assume responsibility for project profit and schedule in the execution of the build as it is designed
- Maintain open communications with all employees and sub-contractors assigned to the project, reviewing site deliverables on a weekly basis with them, with weekly updates to the Construction Manager and Director of Construction
- Supervise small (2) to large (50) crews in modular and industry specific commercial construction and encourage best practices in time management and job planning through leadership by example
- Develop takeoffs, material orders, and field level design change recommendations to efficiently use materials, labor and equipment to meet project deadlines and ensure that an inventory of supplies are maintained and projected ahead for all disciplines
- Understand changes (weather, materials, and delays) and report impacts to budget, schedule, quality
- Implement best practices for time management, urgency of task, job planning, delegation and accountability to meet the overall goals of the project deliverables
- Supervise and organize the scope of work of subcontractors onsite, offering support, advice and direction and ensuring compliance to company policy and safe work procedures at all times while onsite
- Maintain budgets for the day-to-day expenditures to influence the projects financial profitability
- Jointly responsible for the trades, contractor management and development of onsite crew and manage all site personnel to ensure they understand their duties, goals and objectives on a daily performance level and that they are up to task and performance with these duties
- Provide physical product delivery in the field to ensure customer satisfaction and reference-ability
- Execute and maintain company programs, processes and disciplines in the areas of communication, health & safety, quality, work scope, scheduling, cost control, transportation, take offs, procurement and field logistics
- Plan and organize tasks, overseeing the work of a group of employees, to control and evaluate the onsite operations required to install, renovate, or dismantle temporary or permanent portable buildings
- Possess in depth training, knowledge and skill with the operation of multiple pieces of heavy equipment on site
- The position is required to be flexible to meet changing business needs and schedule fluctuations
- Perform other related duties as required by the project onsite
- Responsible for progress reporting daily, and on daily reports at times when cross shifting
- Other duties as required by senior leader of construction in a field and office-based environment
- Work requires an educational background normally equivalent to high school.
- Successful completion of a related Trade Certification acquired at an accredited university or Trades College; and/ or a college diploma in construction related fields
- Advanced knowledge of large-scale construction leadership and practices would be considered an asset
- Must be fluent in English (written and verbal) and have minimum of valid class 5 driver’s license with clean abstract
Skills and Experience
- Able to demonstrate successful experience on multiple commercial building projects, with an understanding of efficient building processes, and practices
- 3-5 years’ experience with high quality modular manufacturing and installation in order to identify best building practices in the field
- An understanding of the multi-disciplinary trades that includes working with civil, foundations, craning, rigging, structural, architectural, exterior/interior finishing, mechanical and electrical is preferred
- Able to manage a fluctuating workload and workforce under difficult constraints, tight timelines and in potentially remote geography and site conditions
- Able to demonstrate a comprehensive working knowledge of building construction with a minimum 6-8 years’ experience in a leadership position on small to medium projects in the 500K to 10M range
- Able to operate all hand and power tools required to perform tasks of portable building installation with ease and demonstrated skill, preferably with an understanding and knowledge of industry specific standards
- Able to work individually and as a team member with experience in leadership of 10+ employees and 20+ subcontractors at any given, and throughout the project lifecycle
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to adapt and a desire to learn
- Attention to health/safety of self and co-workers with an understanding of implementation of company HSE practices and buy in to the company programs through leadership by example and accountability and stewarding the Nomodic HSE culture
- Field and site office environment with a flexible work schedule, requiring work on evenings and weekends. Trained, as necessary, in required safety protocols
- Able to perform manual labor, including bending, stooping, reaching, carrying and lifting heavy objects weighing up to 45 lb. requiring full range of motion manual dexterity of both hands and feet to perform activities such as lifting overhead, twisting and bending while lifting, climbing ladders and stairs while wearing protective equipment, and working in confined spaces, including repetitive arm motion below, at, and above shoulder level and working at heights requiring fall arrest
- Walk approximately 4-8 kilometers per day on a variety of uneven surfaces and in the outdoors
- Wear required Personal Protective Equipment at all times during work hours and encourage it in the work place through leading by example and by monitoring compliance in the field crews
- Work shifts are 10 hours a day, 14 days on and 7 days off, some of which may include travel
- Site representation for some remote locations can include extreme weather as well as all outdoor conditions that will be present through the seasons in that area
- Frequently driving for extended periods and can be affected by potential extreme weather
- Frequently assigned changing priorities and flexible to meet business needs
- Must be able to work in both field and site office environments as required
- Must be able to work on a computer as required during their shift, or when cross shifting, as well as in the field alternatively all or partial days on the tools
- Supervises and provides direction to all assigned site Journeyman, Apprentices, other internal labor, Sub-Contractors, and 3rd parties on a project-to-project basis
- Employee is responsible for supplying their own tools as a condition of employment.
- Pre-access drug and alcohol testing is required.
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination may be required to meet client site requirements.
We thank all of those who apply, but we'll only reach out to those who we see qualified.
Nomodic is an equal opportunity employer that offers competitive salary packages, an incredible work environment and career advancement opportunities.